Sharif Linux® (لینوکس شریف) is a bilingual English/Persian operating system. It is based on GNU/Linux and is customized for the computing requirements of Iran and the Persian language, specially for enterprise-level and educational uses. More screenshots...
Do you need Sharif Linux?
We recommend using Sharif Linux if any of the following is true for you:
- You need secure and updated computers;
- You need professional support for your operating system from an Iranian source;
- You want the user interface of your desktop environment to be in the Persian language;
- You need to handle Persian documents properly and according to international and Iranian standards;
- You need the software you use to have default settings suitable for Iran or for your business environment;
- You want to develop a Persian-enabled Linux-based product and you want a solid platform for your Persian computing requirements.
Sharif Linux comes in two editions, Desktop Edition and Server Edition.
Minimum technical support, provided by Sharif FarsiWeb, Inc. by purchasing Sharif Linux Server Edition or Sharif Linux Desktop Updates, includes timely security, bug-fixing, and improvement updates for the several packages included in the operating system. These can be extended with other services based on the customer's requirements, including but not limited to customization for specific requirements, troubleshooting (by phone or in your office), education, and certification.
The first enterprise customer of Sharif Linux has been Shell Iran, Royal Dutch Shell's branch in Iran, who has started to deploy Sharif Linux to all of the company's servers, desktops, and laptops, in Iran, starting with its central office in Tehran. Shell Iran started to use Sharif Linux with version 1.0, released in June 2005.
The latest version of Sharif Linux, version 2.0, includes the following software packages, among many others:
- Desktop Edition:
- GNOME 2.10, including Evolution 2.2.3 and Evince 0.4.0
- OpenOffice.org 2.0.1
- Firefox 1.0.8
- Gaim 1.5
- FarsiWeb fonts 0.4.1
- Linux kernel 2.6.16
- Server Edition:
- Apache 2.0.54
- PHP 5.0.4
- MySQL 4.1.16
- Samba 3.0.14a
- Sendmail 8.13.4 and Postfix 2.2.2
- Linux kernel 2.6.16
Additionally, the desktop edition works in both Persian and English, highly increasing the efficiency of Iranian users.
- CPU: Pentium 200 MHz or better for Server Edition, or Pentium II (or K6-II) 400 MHz or better for Desktop Edition. Pentium 4 (or Athlon XP) CPUs are recommended. Sharif Linux will also work on AMD 64 CPUs in 32-bit mode.
- Hard disk space: 1 GB for Server Edition, 2.5 GB for Desktop Edition
- RAM: 64 MB for Server Edition, 256 MB for Desktop Edition
- Modem: Sharif Linux does not work with WinModems out of the box. If you wish to use modems with Sharif Linux, you can either use external serial modems (which are also more solid and don't consume CPU resources), or try to acquire drivers for your modem from other sources.